Monday, November 11, 2013

On the right track

It has been 4 months since we last had a ABA (Advanced Behavioral Analysis) team meeting with my supervisor and therapist, and finally, today, we just had one and I am glad that we all have positive feedback on Jaden's progress and we are moving on to new learning programs.


I was just telling Hubs today that Jaden is nearly complete with his one year of school. Hes been in there since school started in January and well, one more month before we call it a year-end break for him. 



Jaden has been showing signs of improvement with the programs school has arranged for him and also the ABA home programs. He is also much more compliant and cooperates with his speech therapist on work and signing she introduces to him.



It is always a happy and welcoming news to hear positive feedback from his team of learning support. Though at times, I wished he can move faster in his programs. Well, as long as he understands what he is being taught, then that is fine with me. Jaden has this gift of memorizing, therefore its a bit hard for us to make him understand, the purpose, the words behind it instead of just him plain memorizing.



School has exposed him to hair-cutting all over again, and even the shaver. They will be doing it more often to get his head-sensitivity issue out of the way. 



I have to admit, we spend quite a lot of money on Jaden's early intervention -school, ABA and speech. Used to have Occupational Therapy inclusive but since school is doing that with Jaden, and my time allocation for more therapies that I prioritized, I just couldn't fit in anymore time slot in Jaden's schedule. 



BUT all these early interventions do help us out alot and all of us are happy with Jaden, and how he has grown along the way with his learning support team.



School is now focusing on his behavioural and academic, while ABA focuses on his cognitive and speech, well, his communication skills. 



Sad to say, Jaden is still a non-verbal child but as long as he is able to communicate with us, either by using signing or PECs, we are happy enough so that both parties will not get frustrated by not understanding each other's wants and needs.



Truth be told, I broke down just a few weeks ago, thinking about his future and that future is only the schooling part. I didn't even dare to think of teenage years yet.



Right now, since he is already in a kindergarten that accepts him, my heart and mind is at ease.. but there will be a time when he has to move on to another school, that is more age appropriate for him (eg:-Standard 1 onwards) and that would be quite an issue if I still insist that he goes to a proper private or international school. 



After having a discussion with Hubs and getting my feet back into reality, I realized that why the need to go through all that heartbreak, and money spent when I can actually enroll him into a homeschool centre that will teach him at his own speed. As long as he learns survival skills, basic understanding of manners, hygiene and communication, I would be happy for him. I would be happy to know that he can make it on his own even when we are no longer around for him anymore. 



Now now, since I am still pregnant and my hormones are still a bit on the yo-yo side, I won't type on further in case water works begin but I guess you guys got my point.



Till then, I shall just keep doing what I can to help my son grow and learn and be a happy boy at the same time. 




1 comment:

Grace said...

Maybe you can try a learning centre instead which caters to homeschoolers. Smaller number of students, smaller classes etc. It might help him. DOn't worry, take one step at a time :) There's always a way.