Sunday, October 13, 2013

32 weeks : Sciatic

I think being pregnant is a very beautiful thing. Its only the cons that comes with it, that does not help many think pregnancy is a good thing.

For me, there are quite a number of cons but most I can deal with it. 

There are only two that I can't really handle and that is:-

1) Headaches/ Migranes
2) Sciatic Nerve pain

My headaches hit me major when I was in my first trimester and going into early second trimester. That was when I always have to at least have a good afternoon nap. If I missed that, its confirmed that a headache would be banging on my head soon after.

The only relief I get from that is that I popped Panadols to prevent it from getting worse and also stop myself from feeling all miserable and depressed. 

Now, nearing 32 weeks, I got what they think is sciatic nerve pain.

Sciatic Nerve pain is a set of symptoms including pain caused by general compression or irritation of one of five spinal nerve roots of each sciatic nerve—or by compression or irritation of the left or right or both sciatic nerves. Symptoms include lower back pain, buttock pain, and pain, numbness or weakness in various parts of the leg and foot. Other symptoms include a "pins and needles" sensation, or tingling and difficulty moving or controlling the leg. Typically, symptoms only manifest on one side of the body. The pain may radiate below the knee, but does not always. (taken from the wikipedia site)

What I am suffering from since yesterday, which was reallly a painful affair, was where I had a one-sided buttock pain, and that I have difficulty in walking. Each step is like a knife stabbed at my leg or lower back on in that one particular nerve that is giving me the pain. I could not bend, I could not squat, I could not stand for long and I needed help to pull me up to a standing position. 

I am still having it now but it is not that bad right now after a good night's rest, though I predict that it will hit me with vengeance by the end of the day. 

Luckily Hubs is around to help me with dealing with Jaden here and there, and also to massage that one butt. For me, I think it helps to relieve the pain to a certain extend. Better than to pay to go have a pre-natal massage, which I rather save the money for post-natal massages and also maybe, to see an osteopath or chiropractor to realign my spine/bone back to its place after 10 months of weight on my spine. 

I remembered having this pain before during my first pregnancy but it was not that bad. Maybe because it is due to this is much more a bigger and heavier pregnancy compared to when I was carrying Jaden, and also the vigorous exercises that I have been doing (dealing with Jaden, more walking here and there, cleaning after the boy, sometimes having to chase after him a while..) 

This is not a complain about how being pregnant the second time around, and having to do mothering duties at the same time took a toll on me but this is more of a rant/rambling for memories' sake of this pregnancy I am going through.

It is definitely different from my first pregnancy and each pregnancy is totally different. Like I have said before and I will not hesitate to say it again, that being pregnant with Jaden was like  a breeze through. No morning sickness and I was feeling much more active than now, being such a whale of a size and also feeling much more tired easily, and having to watch my weight this time round as I was piling more than what was considered normal and also the precautions I am taking this time round. 

If I could avoid medication, that is what I would be doing.. 

Anyway, baby no.2 is moving really actively around and by now, instead of feeling one limb move at a time, it was two and now, sometimes its three limbs and an elbow or knee somewhere poking at you. *sigh*

I am somehow going to miss this movement a lot when its time to pop. It was beautiful the first time round and now, having to be able to feel it the second time round, its even more beautiful and I have learnt how to appreciate the miracle of being able to feel all these movements rather than complaining about how painful these kungfu movements can be. 

Just praying that the sciatic nerve pain would subside or at least affect me as minimal as can be. I don't have that much help other than Hubs to see to Jaden and I still have lots of things to be done before welcoming baby no.2 into our home.

Yes, and baby no.2 still has no name yet. LOL We are really taking our own sweet time, aren't we this time round?


2 comments:

shu-wen said...

Hi, we are around the same week in pregnancy? What's your estimated due date? Mine is 8th Dec :) Good luck for the rest of your pregnancy, it's soo close now!

blubbieMs said...

Hey you.. I am just about 4 days behind you, perhaps if everything goes according to the date that the doctor estimated. :)The day is closing near eh? I am feeling all nervous and scared yet excited.. LOL