Sunday, October 5, 2008

Weaning off breastmilk is such a chore when ...

Jaden refuses to take in any liquid form of milk from bottles or sipping cup. At the moment, the only form of formula milk he takes in is when I mixed it with his rice cereals. What I am trying to do here is to try to wean him off the breast. Especially the night feed. Jaden hardly asks for the day feed now unless I put him in the room to have his afternoon nap. These days, I put him out in the living room, on the bouncer so he can just sleep it off.

BUT its a different story at night. This little boy has incorporated in breastfeeding in his bedtime routine and would only fall asleep if he has the breast in his mouth. Should I just try to sneak the bottle teat into his mouth when he attempts to night breastfeed the next time but I read somewhere that it is not safe to have the bottle in the baby's mouth when he is sleeping. It causes tooth decay..

How ? How to wean Jaden off breastmilk? How to introduce him the idea of drinking from a bottle or milk from a sipping cup? How to tell him he is now a big boy and no longer needs mummy's breast to latch on for feed? Would he be traumatized if we stop this routine of ours? Will we lose the bond we share? Or will he just miracalously wean himself off the breast? Should I just feed him full before his bedtime so he won't ask for milk then?

Maybe I will just start off with that...

Please please let this weaning process be easy on both of us...

For mothers who plan to breastfeed their babies, well.. its a good thing! BUT remember to give your breastmilk through bottles because it will make whatever decision that you make later in his life easier. If I were to have another child again, I will make darn sure that I feed him / her through bottles instead...

2 comments:

Lim H said...

Hi,I'm a breastfeed mum too. I was asked by DR to stop bf. However, my girl has also built up the routine of having breast in her mouth to have a good sleep. Still wonder how to wean off. and I have not started yet. good luck to you and me :->
But why Wean?

blubbieMs said...

I thought it I start to wean now slowly step by step, then when the time comes, he won't be traumatised by the sudden stop... =) But of course if he still insist on the breastmilk at night, I will continue.. praying hard that one day he will just wean himself off.