Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Busy in the kitchen

Of late, I have been rather busy in the kitchen.

I have been cooking almost daily ever since Jaden started his diet. I can't really remember a day that I didn't cook that I am at home since we came home from Singapore.

Since Jaden is on a strict diet, no gluten, no casein, we had to go mostly organic in vege, meat and fruits for the boy. Even ingredients too, such as sauces have to be really gluten and casein free. Thankfully for Village Grocer at my area, which might be the most GFCF friendly market. Second best would have to be Cold Storage but then again, I have not been to Jaya Grocer so I wouldn't really know.

Anyway, I made two dishes that I am rather happy about to share. I mean, I have cooked quite a lot of stuff but I think these two are and will be one of my best GFCF dishes so far. Unless I explore with better ones.

So what are these two dishes that I am so happy about?

First Dish:-

Barbequed Ribs
I bought pork ribs and was inspired to make them for Jaden to try because I have been feeding him rice and noodles till I feel a little pitiful for him because sometimes, they tend to be a little bland. So I surfed the internet for some GFCF recipes and came across this delicious step-by-step instructions with pictures enough to make me salivate and the best thing, I can also make full use of my oven!

Firstly, I sprinkled a generous amount of salt and pepper on the ribs. I added on garlic powder as well with a bit of thyme. Well, actually I think either you can marinate it over night with it or just do it on the spot. It doesn't really matter.

Then I put the aluminium foil below the grill rack to let the excess 'juice' from the pork ribs to drip onto. I also covered the ribs with foil on top, fully covered in a way with some air space to avoid the ribs from drying out. The foil really does wonder in keeping the dryness away and keeping the ribs inside cooked but moist.

I turned on the maxi grill knob and leave it there for an hour. You can try one hour and 15 minutes if you like so that the ribs will be more cooked and softer when you sink your teeth into them.

After an hour, tear away the foil that covers the pork and then brush on the barbeque sauce on them. Since it was for Jaden, I only brushed on the Gluten Free BBQ sauce on the ribs, all over, and then put it back into the oven for another 20 minutes. I kept the temperature at the same 220 Celcius for the first grill and then, when the aluminium foil is no longer needed, I turned it down to 200 Celcius.

Ooh.. to see the pork ribs crackling there in the oven and the aroma that fills the air.. mmmmm.... lets just say it was lovely.

If it was not meant for Jaden and that I can not taint my cookware with gluten stuff, I would have bought the alcohol-based bbq sauce and brushed them over those lovely ribs.. *sigh*

I know I should have taken pictures to show the end result but it was that good, it was wiped clean off the plate.. finger-licking yum yumm!


Second Dish:-

Minced Beef Risotto
OK. Maybe it will fail as risotto in professional context but I try to make it as close as it can get with the ingredients I got in my kitchen.

Since I could not find arborio rice sold anywhere that I have been to, I resorted to using brown rice to cook since the doctor did say it has more nutritional value and I need to break open the bag to start using brown rice in Jaden's meals.

The recipe calls for butter to saute the garlic and onions. As you all know, Jaden is off dairy products, I found a butter substitute -Nuttelex Original which uses 100% vegetable oil and definitely dairy free.

So first, I sauteed the diced garlic and diced onions until they turned translucent in colour. I sprinkled salt over the onions as well as they saute in the pot. Just a bit.

Next, I throw in the minced beed and sprinkle more salt and pepper and a pinch of italian herbs and also a generous sprinkle of garlic powder.

Once the meat changed to a cooked colour, I throw in the brown rice which I had soaked earlier in water for almost an hour. I stir-fry them with the meat for a while, about 3-5 minutes and then pour in a bowl and quarter water.

My fire was on medium high to bring the whole thing in the pot to boil before I put them down to low to simmer off all that water and let the rice be cooked. When the fire was on medium high, I put the lid on. My thoughts were that if I put the lid on, the rice would get cooked to become all nice and plump instead of tasting and biting into hard grains. You would know the taste if its not cooked properly. *wink* Then when I feel that the rice is cooked already, I took the lid off and let it simmer till the leftover water evaporates from the pot.

It should have been beef broth or chicken broth to put in but I don't have that so I make do with what I got. Just plain cooked water.

Well, after an hour 15 minutes into cooking, and the water had evaporated.. mmm.. its time to scoop that tasty thing out of the pot and just savour every yummy mouthful.

Since this is GFCF for Jaden, it was served just like that for him. For normal peeps out there, you can sprinkle some parmesan in near the end and then enjoy those cheesy creamy moments.

BUT oh wells, Jaden has no complaints and he loved every single bite. I made a little more for him to have it for breakfast so I don't have to break my head thinking what to make for him tomorrow morning if I happen to wake up as late as he does. I am just hoping Hubby didn't think the risotto is for him but I doubt he will touch that creamy soggy looking bowl of rice.

Aaahhhh bliss!

My next mission is to make GFCF loaf of bread using my oven. I already bought the GFCF mixes and other sorts of flour to try making pastries for him. Other than bread, maybe pao soon.. =) Wish me luck won't you? I tend to suck with baking! LOL

1 comment:

firefly said...

well babe..practice always makes perfect...so go on and cook till ur heart content...