Saturday, November 13, 2010

Burning up

On the day of my success in collecting Jaden's pee sample, Jaden's body temperature burned up.

I could not really sleep throughout the night as I sensed that there was something wrong with my son.

He has not slept on his tummy curled up like a kitten for a very looooong time, and suddenly during that night, he was sleeping again in such a position, he was somehow mumbling, gasping for air (sort-of) and when I looked closer, he was shivering.

So I quickly covered him with my comforter, switched the aircon off and switched on the fan instead at speed 1.

It was about 7am when I finally fell asleep, but was up by 9am to take the pee bag off Jaden and filled it up in the lab kit's test tube and went on my way to fedex it off to US.

I did not realized that Hubby had missed called me a million times (actually 26 missed calls laa) and when I reached home, he told me that Jaden puked out water and was crying.

I quickly took Jaden's temperature and found it to be at 38.8 / 38.9. He felt so limp in my arms, not even attempting to really push me away.

Fed him a little bit of lunch, so as to avoid him being sick on an empty stomach since he can no longer drink milk to satisfy his hunger. Made him drink a cup of juice (apple+banana+carrot) and then quickly wiped him down with warm water.

After changing him into clean comfortable clothes, I put him down for nap. Of course, before that, with another bottle of water first. He fell asleep almost immediately. Poor little baby boy of mine.

Jaden woke up and his body temperature was not getting any lower. Hubby was afraid that the burning temperature might affect the brains so we decided to bring him to Dr Altaf for medication back-up. Just in case, if his temperature goes beyond 39 in the middle of the night, at least we have something to fall back upon.

Jaden cried the moment we reached the clinic and cried until his turn in the clinic. He was still crying and struggling when we were in consult with Dr. Altaf. He even gave the doctor a kick when Dr. Altaf wanted to check his throat to see if its the inflammation that caused the fever.

We were sent home with cough/phlegm, flu and suppository.

Well, it seemed with all that crying, struggling made Jaden sweated so much, his body temperature came down to about just 38 / 38.2.

We decided to hold back the medication and see if his own antibodies can fight the fever because Dr. Erwin advised us to do so. He asked us to use minimal medication in the boy if we could.

So all I did was just pump the boy with more fruits, juices and lots of water.

By late night, his temperature went down to about 37.8 but he was still feeling a little warm. We all slept with only the fan on that night to avoid the boy from catching cold.

Luckily the next day, his temperature went down to almost normal but he was still cranky because he had phlegm and was coughing. He is still coughing today. Breathing can be a little difficult for the boy if he cries and that was what happened the second night after his fever.

The boy cried and cried and shrieked and cried and shrieked from about 1230am to 430am when he finally fell asleep in the bassinet, with me rocking him gently to sleep. Since he fell soundly asleep in the bassinet, I decided not to move him back into the room lest he wakes up and start the drama again.

I took out my pillow and blankie and slept on the floor right beside the boy while I chased the Hubby back into the room to sleep since he has a long day ahead of him for work the next day.

I only quickly ran to the room to sleep a mere 1 hour when Hubby woke up in the morning.

*sigh*

Jaden is still not really completely ok just yet so I did not take him to his school today, just in case he catches other viral or pass his viral to other kids. I guessed that he caught the bug from one of his classmate who was coughing away last week in class. If not, then its probably Hubby's dinner date on Sunday who was sick but the main suspect should be Jaden's classmate instead.

So, now I am nursing a boy who is not feeling well (means he has the license to have his own way), a boy with no appetite and hard to find something to feed him because of his limited diet menu and he is being really choosy because he doesn't feel well.

Going crazy real soon!

No comments: