Friday, July 24, 2015

An appointment with the speech therapist

So, I decided to drop Jaden's speech therapist a message asking for some help as I was really worried about Mason's speech development.

I did not want to play the waiting game. I needed some help in observing the right milestones a 1.5year old boy must meet as I no longer knows what else to do other.

Some parents are commenting online that it is pretty normal for boys to be late talkers, some dont hit it at 3 or 4 years old but in my case, that is not acceptable. No.. not after what I have been through. 

I had never been through this neurotypical milestones' situation before because as you all would have known by now, how different these two boys of mine are.

Today, we met up with the speech therapist and she helped me observe Mason and gave me some tips for me to work with Mason until he reaches two years old.

Thankfully, her observation came back saying he is hitting all the milestones he should be hitting and that he seems to be playing in a bigger boy's manner due to his exposure of a big 8 year old brother.

His imitation skills are spot on, he is quite fast to catch on to things, he initiates play through good eye contact and his attentive acknowledgement to his name is good. 

So, yea.. for now, I can sit back and relax just a little before I start again on trying to do more with Mason, and of course Jaden, hoping he can at least develop together with Mason the milestones he, Jaden, had missed out while growing up. 

The next step for me is to put Mason into a playgroup to mix with peers his age. Wish me luck in finding a good one for him since he is still an unvaccinated child.. I need somewhere that meets my criteria of a safe and healthy environment. *wink*

and of course to start working on two words speech with Mason... I guess I can really only breathe easy when Mason is 5 years old. 


No comments: