Saturday, February 1, 2014

2014 Chinese New Year

We celebrated our Chinese New Year in KL this year. 

No Melaka. 

No Penang.

Mason is too young to travel and the very fact that we did not want to expose him to so many people just yet is the main reason why.

Hubs. as usual, as a tradition now, he is the one in charge of preparing and cooking the reunion dinner food for all of us and boy, its awesome good.

After marrying Hubs, it is my first time of not eating steamboat as our reunion dinner. It is really different from how I grew up but hey, food is food and they are good. 

It is really touching to see Hubs slought away in the kitchen, cooking food that both Jaden and us could enjoy. I did contribute.  I made soup! =)

Mason was being a gem, sleeping away in his bouncer as three of us dug into our food. He woke up not long after we were 97% done with dinner and became demanding after that. It was supposed to be my turn to clean up but because I have to see to Mason, Hubs cleaned up too. *sigh* What is there not to be touched about, do you still have to ask?

Hubs then distributed angpows to both his sons and I when the clock striked 12am. Fireworks went off opposite our house and Jaden enjoyed them. 

Mason, fell asleep not long after as it was past his bedtime. 

First day of Chinese New Year was a very quiet one for us.

No house visits, no friends over.

Sad huh? but it was alright. This year I am not disappointed in the way we celebrated Chinese New Year. All for the better health for Mason.

At times, I do feel a little down, knowing that far up North, my big ass family are celebrating with much laughter and eating food at every house they visit. Sharing jokes here and then and gambling away. This is what Chinese New Year is all about, where relatives gather from near and far and just be comfortable and happy with each other's company.

Next year, hopefully we can go Melaka and then back to my hometown too. 

Jaden has been exposed once to my family's side of CNY celebrations. Next, would have to be Mason's turn as well. I am sure he would enjoy them as much as I did growing up.

Today, is the second day of Chinese New Year and I am supposed to have my friend over but because I slept off with a headache, woke up with a migraine, puked, I told her that we need to meet up some other time and just not today. I am still having the throbbing nagging feel behind my head and I think its best I pop another painkiller.. I need to be healthy to deal with the two boys of mine.. It really is energy-zapping when you are completely on your own dealing with two different needs and one that is attached to you most of the time. 

I did received a not so good news from my mom on reunion dinner night too. That my eldest aunt passed away on Wed night, the night before reunion dinner. 

Somehow I felt guilty that I never got to visit her in all my trips I made to Penang. Always full of excuses and now, she is gone.. Life is really precious and makes me think that both Hub's and my parents are already old and if we could, we should spend as much time as we can with them so we won't have any regrets.

Chinese New Year and its family theme do really get me sentimental thinking about how a family should be... 

No comments: