Saturday, October 8, 2011

Westlife Gravity Tour 2011


Destination : Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I was sold, the moment I heard and saw 'Swear It Again' played on MTV.




Still a girl in her light blue pinafore, vouching for Shane and Mark. My favourite two main lead vocalists in Westlife.

I could still remember the very first Westlife concert I went to, courtesy of sweetheart Faith. It was back in May 2001.



How both of us travelled by the Starline train to get to Astro to pickup the tickets were crazy. Got down/up on the wrong train when we were at Chan Sow Lin station but well, that sure did make the Westlife experience better!

Now, the boys came back minus one 10 years later and man, I still love them as much as I did back then!

Initially I wanted the Premier tickets but then again, I don't think I could make it to the pre-cocktail session and they are a little tad too expensive. Hubby offered to get me the Platinum tickets but when I went to buy them, premier and platinum were all SOLD OUT! Yea, you heard me.. all the expensive tickets have been swiped clean!



I was left with only three choices -Gold / Silver or Bronze. Of course I went for the Gold tickets. I remember the seating plans in Putra Indoor Stadium very well and Gold do provide good view of the stage so Gold it is for me!



Sadly, this time round, I attended the concert alone. Faith has moved her ass to New Zealand, my one and only Westlife kaki!

but well, I was not feeling sad for long. The moment I stepped into the arena, I nearly teared. To see the crowd who breathes Westlife was awesome. Music was played while everybody slowly made their way into the arena, video cams capturing the audience doing their 'thang' and roaring cheers and support from the audience whenever the camera focuses in on unsuspecting people grooving to the music.

I mean, can you believe it ? Even before Westlife appeared on the stage, one can already feel the warmth of the crowd. I am not sure if you understand what I am trying to say but it is somewhat like the saying, there is no place like home. Everybody feels so much closer, like we had something all in common = our love for Westlife. I felt the same when I attended Super Show II in 2010 in KL but something about being at concert in our neighboring country is just plain cold. I just could not connect, or feel the warmth like I felt from our fellow Malaysians.

Of course, the arena was not only filled with Malaysians but there were quite a few from other countries. I even spotted two old aunties wearing <3 Westlife shirts and they are from New Zealand! They look like they are in their 70s, yet they were fun and participated to the spycam moment. Then there were the Irish girls, with orange wigs and the Ireland flag. They were rather friendly and would take pictures with the other concert goers.

By about 9pm, the crowd got a bit restless and started chanting for Westlife. At 9.05pm, the lights went out and the curtain dropped, revealing the very reason why we were all gathered there at the Putra Indoor Stadium that day.

WESTLIFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!

and the very first song they sang ...



Now, that is one sure way to fire up the crowd... and the best thing, everybody knows the lyrics !

After the first song, Nicky announced that they usually play a game with the audience and they would randomly pick two people out from the audience onto the stage. I was like OMG! Really? Then he took out his phone and called out a guy's name.

*grr* what? a guy got chosen? and why did the girl go up too? When did Nicky call out her name?

Anyway Nicky asked where both of them are from and pass the microphone to the guy and asked him how does he feel tonight? and then the whole cliche thing happened ..

yea, some of you might have guessed it but well, it was sweet nonetheless. The trouble the guy went through to do all that to go down on one knee, and asked his girlfriend to marry him and be serenaded by the four Irish men? *sigh*

The girl took some time to say yes. I somehow doubt she actually wanted to say yes but it must be the pressure from the crowd and being just next to the Westlife members? and then they serenaded her! She got to hug each and every of those four Irish! *JEALOUS MAX*

The song?



Well, Gravity Tour did not feel like a concert at all. In fact, it felt more like we were invited to this one big party where everybody gets up and dance to the music and groove along with the boys on stage. It has a personal touch which is rather different from all the other concerts I have been to.. other than Pussycat Dolls (where we get to dance too at the Surf Beach -thanks to Ms Ho)

I loved every minute I was in there, the arena, hearing the boys belt out their hit songs from 1999 - 2010. albeit Mark did put on some weight but he still has a to-die-for vocals.

The boys did a medley of other songs such as Viva La Vida, Only Boy in The World, Time of My Life and Bad Romance. The whole crowd just went mad!!!!






However, the concert felt a little short, as if they only sang a few songs.. they did not sing Swear It Again but they sang three of my favourite songs -Flying Without Wings, Seasons in The Sun and You Raise Me Up!

Fell in love with one of their latest song too...




*sigh* The whole thing ended with they singing Uptown Girl as the encore ... and it was byebye Malaysia, we will see you again!!! Hopefully sooner and not another ten years down the road!!!!



Truth be told, there are quite a few boybands that I deeply truly know the lyrics to each and every of their songs; Backstreet Boys, Boyzone, Westlife, 911 and 98 Degrees. =) Maybe Blue but these 4 are my top favourites of all time!



Love much!



No comments: