Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Step by Step

I am so excited today.

and this time it has nothing to do with any celebrity-fan crazy me!

Finally after months of searching, making calls here and there, meeting up with the people responsible and then just sat waiting... waiting..

and finally today, the three of them showed up at my doorstep at 9am in the morning, bearing the SimonYap clan good news.

Jaden will soon begin his long awaited home-based ABA (Applied Behavioral Analysis) therapy classes.

Why home based and not centre-based for me? Well, after doing my research, I realized for my boy's sake, its better for him to start from home where he has the comfort of waking up, eating and not having to quickly bathe, spend the time on the road to the centre which will make him tired again and then he will throw a tantrum and not learn anything.. and money goes to waste.

I rather he be comfortable and learn from where he feels confident and safe and that I can do my stuff at the same time at home, while still be a part of his therapy lessons.

This ABA therapy does not come cheap but Hubby is doing his best to provide to give Jaden the best treatment / recovery process he can afford.

For now, we will only be starting at about 18 hours a week, which I will be the 3rd filled in therapists working with him (strictly) for about 4 hours (2 hours a day -2 days only) as the other two therapists will come from Tue-Fri. One in the morning and the other in the afternoon.

and when the boy starts to progress, we will then see how we can add on the hours, because ideally the hours to work with children with ASD would be 30 hours weekly. At the moment, we will start slow, introducing him to the two therapists, allowing him to accept them and trust them enough to play and work with him.

Words cannot describe my excitement at the moment because this means one step forward and well, i am keeping my mind open and positive that the household of SimonYap will soon see some progress and more progress, together with the help of his biomeds.

Speaking of that, it means now I have to clear whatever that is not needed in the second room to make way for his therapy room. We have already bought quite a few materials for the therapists to work with him.

I feel really grateful to those who had helped me get to this day. The forum, the parents, the two supervisors whom I met up.. they have been really helpful and patient with all my questions -starting from where and how should I begin to get my son on the road to recovery...not to mention my bestfriends who chipped in in their own way.

Thank you so much!

No comments: