Friday, April 10, 2009

My sacrifice

I didn't sleep the whole of yesterday as in from 12am April 9.. I was fighting sleep because I knew if I were to sleep, I will not be able to wake up in time to go to the UMMC early. I wanted to avoid the going-to-work crowd traffic jam, to get a decent parking spot at the hosp parking and not get frus because its all filled up and to get in line first to see the doc so he can write and sign the drug prescription paper. If you have not been to a government hospital, you won't know the amount of people that is there daily. Its even more than the weekend crowd you find at the PC fair.


My morning cuppa~


I was a little early there at the clinic but there was quite a number of people there already. Took my number and the nurse at the counter told me that the doc will only be in at 9am. I looked at the clock hanging on the wall and it says 755am. Right... So I decided to go down to delifrance to have myself a cuppa of hot black coffee so I don't doze off driving back home later. Watched people walk by, old loving couples, little children, patients in wheelchairs, these people in white robes walking here and there with files in hand.. so many people from walks of life to look at.. The coffee tasted heaven to me then as its been so long since I had a nice hot coffee to myself, all alone.

Bought The Star and went up to the clinic to wait, just in case the doc comes in early from his visit at the ward. Soon, lots of people poured into the clinic and most of the chairs were taken up. That was when it started to get entertaining.

Case #1 :: I heard a lady who was just sitting behind me kept on greeting anybody that walks past her "Good Morning! Cho San (Cantonese), Selamat Pagi (Malay)!" This Chinese lady was in a very cheery mood.

Case #2 :: A man who kept walking up and down, his trousers folded until the ankle, and when he sat down a seat away from me with his legs very very kangkang got sounded by the nurse that if he don't sit decently, no doctors want to see him and that made him got straight up and tailed the nurse to ask why.

Case #3 :: This girl who seems to be just 15 or 16 years old came in with her mother and she was so hyper. Giggling whenever and wanted to take mags from the reading area home. She couldn't really sit still at a place for long so she kept changing. Her mother sat right beside me. The girl would sometimes read out loud what was on the TV screen but like two words out of the sentence... skip the next two and read out the next two.

Case #4 :: Some patients who comes for doc consultations will greet one another like some mini-reunion.

Case #5 :: There is this one guy who kept asking the nurse every five minutes when the doctor is coming in despite the nurse telling him after 9. You can actually see the frus on the nurses' face as they were busy dealing with lots of documents.

You get the scenario. There were lots more but I don't really remember but it was rather entertaining to me as I was really trying to fight sleep and boredom while waiting for the doc to come in, which he came in at only about 930am.

The makcik that was sitting beside me turned to me and asked how long I have been waiting. I said for a while now and she asked the reason why I was there. I replied to take medicine. Then she went quiet for a minute or two before asking me the question of the year.

"How long have you been taking the medicine?"

I could hear Hubby laughing right there and then. I meant Hubby was home sleeping with Jaden then I think but still, I imagined him there and the laugh that will come out from him.

I turned to the makcik and said no, those are for my mother.. you can actually sense that she felt awkward before trying to change topic to her daughter, telling me that her daughter has been taking the meds close to ten years now.

Thats pretty long aint it? Anyway, doc came, I went in, took the prescription and had to wait again at the pharmacy for my turn to pay for meds and get them from the counter. My turn was like 40 numbers away. So there I sat and people-watched till my turn is called.

Bought breakfast/lunch on the way home and not long after I reached home, Jaden woke up and decided not to sleep back. Then we followed Hubby out for his meeting, where both Jaden and I went into the CD shop and came out with a children's VCD for him and the latest Wang LeeHom Heartbeat album for myself. hehehehhe Told you I will get it, didn't I? Need to know his songs before going to the concert and not feel stupid and anyway his album is never a bad investment as the songs, music is really good.

Finally we reached home at about 5pm and gave Jaden his bath and put him down for his nap. I couldn't take it any longer and took a short nap myself. Woke up an hour later and lazed in bed for another 1/2 hour before I went outside and found Jaden still sleeping. Can't be he is more tired than I am right? Hmm...

Anyway it was really a tiring day for me and never again I think would I want to sacrifice sleep anymore.

No comments: