Sunday, October 26, 2008

A visit from my aunty

and its the real aunty k? Not the one that comes knocking every month.

Mother's youngest sister is down in KL today, following my uncle who came for a business meeting. So instead of getting bored out of her wits at the meeting that discussed nothing but tyres and how to to make car maintenance a better experience, she decided she will come stayover and cook my whole family Hokkien Mee.

Finally PENANG HOKKIEN MEE also known as KL's Prawn Mee. Don't understand why they call it prawn mee here. Hokkien mee fits the name just fine. Well, I grew up knowing those names and discovering a whole new array of food names for the same dishes in Penang was really disturbing to me at first but now after 8 years of living in KL, guess I learnt to accept them for the kookiness.

Jaden would be meeting his Ee Poh for his very first time. Wonder if he would be confused with the lookalike similarities my aunty has with my mother. Hmm.. afterall Jaden got confused at first with his botak grandpa Yap and his own father. =)

Speaking of food, here I go missing my Penang food again. I can't wait for Jan to arrive so I can go back home, bringing Jaden back to my hometown for the very first time. I really hope I can get to eat Lor Mee, Hokkien Mee, Curry Mee, Assam Laksa, Ice Kacang @ Swatow Lane, Lrg Selamat Char Koay Teow, Duck Koay Teow near Penang Road there... Or Chien, Koay Kak and Chee Cheong Fun at the lane at Sunway hotel there. Shit! I even forgot the name already. HOW COULD I? I feel like a outsider to my own island I grew up on. Aarrrgghhhh!! Disappointing dissapointing!

**updated**

Yes! She is here and the whole house smells so GOOOOOOOODDDD ALAS I can't get to eat the prawn noodle! Coz I am still breastfeeding!! AARRGGGHHHH!! Sacrifices I make.. *sigh* Nevermind.. soon soon..at least I can get to smell some of my 'missed' food!!!

1 comment:

JL said...

i miss penang food too!!!!!
the sunway hotel hawker street!!!
Y_________________Y

can't wait...!!!!