Friday, December 23, 2011

Rice Cooker Salt-Baked Chicken

Family dinners are an important affair to me and since I have my own family now, I would want Jaden to have this type of practice too. Sadly, its not really a success because his mother turns out to be the world's lousiest cook.

Yesterday was the Winter Solstice festival and not only do the Chinese eat tang yuen (glutinous rice balls), they will also have a family dinner / family gathering. 

Since it was only 3 of us and the big one has to work, we settled for just tang yuen while the small one will have his dinner as usual but I do try to make his dish a little more special than norm.

Turns out I am one day late and well, better late than never.

I googled for some salt baked chicken and came across this blog, and found it to my cooking convenience. There are a lot of style to salt baked a chicken but well, this one blog made it so ABC for me, there is no turning back.

In my mind, if this meal turns out to be a success, then I can also cook it for the Chinese New Year reunion dinner. 

Turns out, I didn't fail nor did I score with flying colors. It was just ok. Something was missing somewhere in flavoring and I can't seem to source which ingredient did I leave out or did I not marinade it right?

Jaden seemed to like it, without whining as usual if he does not like his meals so guess I pass this test. Maybe, just maybe just more garlic and salt and ginger? Or maybe a little of his tamari sauce as marinade?

Hmm, I would still have to tweak until I get the recipe right. Just like my roast beef, I finally got it the way I want it to roast and still have that aromatic moist in it when you sink your teeth into the meat... but it took me quite a few tries to get it right. Roast pork = FAIL ! Siu Yoke = FAIL ! *sigh* 

I am still better off sticking to honey-bbqed pork ribs, roasted garlic potatoes, potato boulangere  and maybe roasted chicken chop for the small one when it comes to oven cooking. 

No comments: