Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Rest In Peace Mr. Edgar Maurice Augustin, my dearest headmaster

My headmaster, Mr Edgar Maurice Augustin was the eldest son of late Datuk James Frederick Augustin, of whom was one of the sons who made it into The Augustine Family Cricket XI team made it into the Book of Wisden, considered the bible of the international cricket community, as the first family cricket team. The family, - one of the oldest in Penang - became famous throughout cricket-playing countries. At one time, half the Kedah cricket team were said to be the Augustins.

In Penang, the Augustin family started the Sekolah Sri Inai in the early 80s. At its peak during the Indonesian riots in the late 1990s, it had some 550 students, including a strong contingent from Medan. I remember the invasion of the Medan students as they enrolled into school during 1998 onwards...

Sri Inai (Senior) Penang was established in 1981 with only a handful of pioneer teachers and students. The Junior (Primary) School was established in 1985. It conducts classes from Year 1 to Year 6, while the Kindergarten / Tadika was added to the Junior School in 1987. It is opened to children aged 3+ years and above. Till this date, the student population Sri Inai stands at 301 students. Sri Inai had produced over 1000 graduates since 1981.

In 1988, The Senior School moved its classroom and facilities to a brand new campus developed along Kelawai Road. Featuring modern laboratories and bigger classroom, it allowed the school to provide a wider range of facilities and a cutting-edge learning environment for its students.

Year 2003 marked 22 years since its inception of the school, the oldest private school in Penang for local students in the 22 years since its establishment. Sri Inai has gone through many phases of change to achieve the successful status of what it has proven today, as a leading private educational institution.


Anyway the point of this post is to point out what a great man Mr Edgar Maurice Augustin is in one part of my life. It was he who gave me a chance to continue my studies in that wonderful school, of which I am very proud of till today for producing the people we are today. Close-knits till the end, despite either one is the senior or junior.

Fondly known as Oggie, with his infamous Volvo, we fear his booming voice and the surprise rounds he makes during lessons yet we grow to love the man for who he is. Sometimes, during weekends, we can see him walking around in Jalan Burma / Lorong Burma.

His famous words to us were never to say, "I don't know!" but to say "I'll find out the answer."

I am sure he was proud of us as his students. Sri Inai, under his care, had really been a truly wonderful experience that I personally think could not be gotten anywhere else.

If I had a chance to choose any schools back in Penang to study again, I would definitely pick my dearest Sekolah Sri Inai Penang over and over again.

I had been a student there since 1989, studying in Standard 1 till Form 5 in 1999. My time there has really been very memorable and I can't express my gratitude enough to my dear headmaster, Mr Edgar Maurice Augustin. If it weren't for your kind generosity and trust in me to allow me to continue my education in Sri Inai, I wouldn't be part of the close-knit family of Inaians.

The dear old man passed away this morning as I was told. We, Inaians had helped informed those around Penang, representing out batch mates to go attend service and pay our last respects. For those, like me and those abroad can only silently say our prayers and may God Bless the good man's soul. He sure was a good man, and will forever be part of my life story in who I am today.

Thank you Mr. Augustin for all the opportunities you have given me. You will be greatly missed and will always be in our heart and thoughts.

Rest in Peace and God Bless!




Sri Inai maju dan jaya
Membentuk kita semua
Melahirkan putera puteri Malaysia
Berjiwa Berbakti Senantiasa

Bukit sama kita mendaki
Lurah sama kita turuni
Selagi Gunung Tahan berdiri
Sri Inai terus membimbing kami

Inaians are true and loyal Malaysians
Forever and ever we will be
Ever'd ever be our destiny
For Inaians at heart we'll always be

Sri Inai maju dan jaya
Membentuk kita semua
Melahirkan putera puteri Malaysia
Berjiwa Berbakti Senantiasa


Proud to be a Penang Inaian.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://christinegooi.blogspot.com/2009/06/rest-in-peace-mr-edgar-maurice-augustin.html

read this. both of ur posts are similar.. but obviously u posted before she did. the words are SO familiar.

blubbieMs said...

I guess some were taken off the net describing the history of our school but the rest, I am not sure how she got it but we both would prolly share the same memories because he is afterall, our headmaster and what we both write, if similar in this post, I am sure our fellow Inaians reader would underetand why. We are afterall proud to be part of the Sri Inai Penang group. Christine Gooi is my classmate's younger sister, my junior afterall.. I am actually saluting her for making her way back to Penang to visit the headmaster before his passing on and also attending the funeral.

blubbieMs said...

Anonymous, thank you for pointing out anyway. He was really a well-loved man by all his SSI Penang students.

Christine said...

Oppss.. Sorry blubbieMs.. I thought u were thinking i was copying urs.. LOL.. but i decided to change some so that ppl won't be mistaken lah i hope.. As Inaians, we all know that the memories we have with mr.augustin is almost the same with our the other Inaians.. the car, he classroom rounds and also the very famous volvo.. anyhow, am really glad that you also wrote a post dedicated to him...

thanks for the comment... You would if ur in M'sia i bet.. Take care...Glad to find one of my seniors too.. =)