Saturday, January 11, 2014

Back to School

Year 2014 has officially begun and its back to school week for Jaden this week.

His school started back on the 8th January, a day or two after the neurotyplcal children goes to school, and get back being used to their environment.

Once you have become a kindy-going parent, you would know how stressful it can be on the first two days of school, where the children will cry for their parents or not wanting to go back to school after a long month of holiday.

Anyway, Jaden was fine back being at school, although he forgot how it can be such a ruckus during music class with the playgroup children, hence a bit of meltdown in there.

Other than that, I think he is pretty happy to be back in school, which means playground time and I feel its good as he gets the sun and sweats it out. It was quite a sad sight to see him get stuck with me at home after my dad left back to Alor Setar for work and there was no one to take him for a drive or a run in the mall, or playground, swimming time. Hubs did occasionally bring him down the apartment for playground time but that also depended on the weather as last month, it kept raining when its about 3pm onwards till evening when it is the mosquitoes' turn to come out and play.

This week had also been a test to me to see how I can cope with being with both my boys, seeing to each of their needs and how I manage my time.

Its been crazy, that I must admit. Trying to make sure Mason feeds at about 630am or 645am, and praying he goes back into deep sleep while creeping out of the room, and preparing Jaden's snack box, water, double checking his bag for an extra set of clothes, then quickly popping myself for a bath, put breakfast on the table, and waking Jaden up.

Then, I pray even harder that Jaden will not cry out loud and waking his Mason up, who is sleeping in the next room, making sure Jaden finishes his breakfast, then its bathtime for him. 

After getting Jaden dressed, put on shoes and have his school bag on his back, house and car keys in hand/bag, doors unlocked but not opened, then I quickly go and scoop Mason up and out we go from the house.

Usually, if Mason is still asleep when I scoop him up, he will continue sleeping all the way to and from school. 

First day had been smooth, second day, we had speech therapy in the afternoon, where Mason decided he did not really want to stay in the car seat anymore but I let him cry it out while I continue driving. After a while, he stopped and looked at me and fell asleep. *phew* 

Third day, Mason was wide awake when we were about to leave for school, so it was quite a new experience to see how it goes. Well, of course, Mason cried as the car stops.. Guess the humming of a moving car soothes him and lulls him to sleep but morning jam is really something I cannot stop from happening. So again, he cried, then stop and cried.. *sigh* In the end, I think he gave up on crying and fell asleep again.. 

Jaden had been a great sport. Last time, when a child cries in the very same space that Jaden is in, he would get really frustrated and cry out loud together with the child but I guess, a month spent together with his brother in the house, crying on and off has made him grow accustomed to it, while we do explained to Jaden why the brother cries. Jaden only acts up if he is feeling tired or cranky or about to fall asleep and his brother wakes him up with the cries.

So, that pretty sum up my week of being a mother who is trying to cope with both her son's routine and hoping that all three of them will get the hang of it and cooperate to make the mother's life a bit easier. Less crying, more compliance = happy mother. I am really dreaming, no?

Next week, its three days of school while two days are off due to public holiday. Oh boy, start, stop, start.. how lah to warm up my engine? but its good too, which means I get to sleep in a little later.. =)

No comments: