Saturday, June 9, 2012

Do you remember?

It had been quite a while since I last forgot dates and suddenly, it hit me that today is already 9th June.

I totally forgot about it .. which could have meant that its a good thing.

Finally.

So, do you see it as a blessing or curse that one remembers these dates so well?

Birthdays, anniversaries .. first times.. ok, maybe not first times because there are so many firsts, my ability to remember has not reach that level.

but I know that I will make always remember Jaden's firsts, just because.

I remember how old he was when he decided to let go of the wall and walked towards me, his first steps taken were on soft ground -the bed. No wonder he took quite some time to master it as most babies would have walked on hard solid ground that gives them enough support. Nope, Jaden have to do it the opposite way.

The first time he laughed out so loud, rolled over on his own at about 2/3am in the morning, jumped and of course, danced.

Now, it is how he finally learned how to blow a whistle and best, blow bubbles. It took us almost a year to get to here. How his cognitive abilities are working, manipulating our hearts into doing things his way and the precious moments, when he decides to do unexpected sweet things just because.

The decision to stay at home and dedicating it all to Jaden has been something I would never regret but I wish everybody else would stop taking it for granted. I do it because I want to NOW and not because I am forced to or made to. It is this very reason, why I am grateful that I am a stay-at-home mother, to be able to witness and experience Jaden's first milestone development together with him.

Of course, its a totally different story when he grows up into a teenager where he might just find me annoying or embarrassing. I do not think I would want to find that stain on the bedsheet or some 'prohibited' DVDs in his possessions because I am not ready to go there yet. The birds and bee talk, NO ! Its crazy .. he will forever be my baby in my eyes and no one else would be good enough for him. *crazy over-possesive mom mode*

In fact, now, at 5 years old -to be exact, 4years 8months old, he no longer wants to hold my hand when we are out shopping at the mall. He wants to walk on his own, he stays near to me but no touching is allowed. He would have screamed his head off at me for even attempting to say, "Come, lets hold hands!"

Yes, Jaden is all grown up now, isn't he? BUT what he does not know is that I will never let go his hands, or be able to.. for those are the very hand I molded, touched and protected with all my heart.

He did a very cute thing yesterday.

Sometimes, his therapist will take him to the playground during the last half hour of their classes. He loves the swing best, if he could go into the pool, he would be ecstatic.

Anyway, his therapist had to leave early yesterday, so when she let him out from class, he pulled her to the door (which we both knew exactly what he wanted but was waiting to see how he is going to communicate that want) and took out his own shoes from the shelves. Placed it on the floor and then look at his therapist with those doleful eyes and waited.

How can you say No to him then? Yes, his therapist was suckered and could not help but gave in to his request.

We are in the midst of teaching him how to sign and say please. So for everything that he wants from us, he has to sign please. He is about there now, about to pick up successfully that particular signing but instead of doing it in a circular motion on his chest, he is patting his chest. At least he is doing something. :)

We do have quite a lot of homework from speech and I am trying my best to make him say Baa. One word at a time. So whatever sound that comes out sounding like Ba, I will praise him and say Good Job. Well Done, Good Trying! Those do work actually. He enjoys all these praises and somehow, it encourages him to do better next time. So if you hear a mother out there that keeps telling her son Baa in his face, yes, that would be me !

He seems to like what his father likes. He would sit beside his father, watching his father immersed in that godforsaken Dota2. He loves watching sports channel, especially football and diving competition. He recognizes the word ESPN 812, StarSports 813 and all the 800 numbers on the Astro Decoder. So, I never flip to those channel unless necessary. Or else, the TV is Jaden's. I am just so afraid that he might pick up a cigarette when he grows up, that is why I pray hard everyday that the father will quit smoking for his son's sake. My prayers are not answered though. :(

Today is movie day. His ABA supervisor had organised a movie outing for her team of families to go watch Madagascar III. This will be our 3rd cartoon movie outing. He has been to the movies for Cars 2, Happy Feet 2 and now this, Madagascar III. I wonder how he will react to it now that he is much more aware of the the environment he is at and worse, none of his therapists are going to be there for him. I mean, there will be therapists there but just not his team of therapists as they are all away on other personal issues. Please have mercy on me, that he will behave and enjoy the movie.

So till then, got to go get myself ready before waking Jaden up and prepping him ... Have a good weekend !

No comments: