Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Happy Birthday my big baby

Only God will know how hard it was for me to try to keep his Surprise Birthday Dinner a real surprise for him this year after what I prepared for him the previous year.


I gathered his friends again, the usual gang that he mostly hung out with and also, people that I know and have dropped by the house before.


I started off with sending everyone the obligatory mail of asking if everybody is free on the 19th, since its a working day and these people are mostly busy with attending events or closing magazines.


Positive replies start pouring in and I started making the necessary arrangements for a dinner place, and cracking my head to think of somewhere he has never try before and wanted it to be something special as well, which goes the same for the birthday cake.


It was then, I remembered reading about this dinner concept that is quite a hit in town now, underground dining. I quickly called the owner/cook up and made my reservations because it seems that his diner is packed almost daily and reservations has to be made weeks/month in advance. I was lucky to get a place.


Then, it was the cake.. I have to admit that I remembered Hubby commenting on how good the red velvet cake was at Beatrice Looi's cafe -Hummingbird Cafe @ Bangsar Telawi.


So I do what I do best, everything done through the net and phone, make a few calls here and there, and everything was set, nicely planned.


Now, how do I get Hubby not to be suspicious because he knows me too well, and was anticipating some secrets to get kantoi-ed.


So, to avoid his suspicions and let it go to rest once and for all, we staged a SURPRISE 12am Birthday call at my place where the guys came and sang to him at our door and had the cake-cutting/candle-blowing thingy. SURPRISE!!! 


Thankfully he bought the whole staged idea and totally let his guard down. So, the next day, he asked where to go for dinner, and I said its up to him to choose and he invited the same list of people to dinner at New Paris. At least he thought he was organizing it and in the afternoon, I took Jaden out on a run with me, claiming I had to pass my stuff to a friend to help me bring back to Penang first as he is leaving the first thing in the morning the next day.


Told him to get Eddy to fetch him to the dinner place while I shall go in my own car. 


and there he was, so happy, looking forward to his deep-fried pork legs, in his t-shirt and shorts and slippers, he was send to where we all gathered.. 






You can imagine the surprise on his face.. well, lets just say I really did it this time.







Food, service was great.. company was awesome and well, whats not to like about a birthday celebration when you get to have two cakes too. In fact, I think Jaden had more fun blowing the candles and hearing everybody sing the Birthday song.


The cake I got him? 






1) Rainbow cake for the 12am candle-blowing session
2) Red Velvet Cheesecake for the birthday dinner


*sigh* 






and then, he was allowed to join the boys for a couple of DOTA gaming sessions while Jaden and I headed home first. Planning and running around with a 4 year old in tow is a tough tiring job, especially when you are stuck amidst the after-working hour/CNY rushing home traffic jam. Its crazy ...


These planning gets tougher each year because I try to come out with something unique but maybe, just maybe I shall take a rest next year and let him plan his own for real this time round. =p



No comments: