Sunday, February 6, 2011

Chinese New Year 2011

... this year just was not something what I expected.

I, sort of, instead of looking forward to this one festive season which I loved so much because it means 'family meetings, laughter and family gossips together' just was not there.

Every year, ever since I got married, I missed my northern Perlis tradition of the Loo family getting together, us, cousins on one table while the elderly on the other eating away the scrumptious meal the wives of the Loo's family put together.

Then we will either settle into playing fireworks or grouping upstairs to have a mini gambling sessions comprising of RM0.20 onwards.

The scramble in the morning to get ready in time to go to our grand-aunty's house to meet up with the rest of the family, and then back to the youngest uncle's house for lunch and the eldest uncle trying to sing us deaf!

The house visits of my mom's side -first uncle/aunty to the last aunty in the Tan clan. The food served on the table, ever so inviting.. *sigh* the laughter, the pressuring questions for the young ones going into college, or those who are not married yet or those who have not have children, seeing them squirm looking at each other for help to escape the grilling of the elderly. Twas' was fun!

If only I learnt to appreciate all those years while I could.. now, married into the Yap clan, its a totally different whole new aspect to me. Its as if, this festive season is just another weekend -just a longer weekend than usual.. There is no such closeness compared to my side of the family and I really hope Jaden won't grow up in such an environment. It sucks not to have such close bond.

I may not be sharing the same blood but I am loved and cared for much more than those that claimed blood runs thicker than water.

Somehow, I feel very lonely this Chinese New Year. It doesn't help with the gloomy weather and the lack of festive cheer, or maybe its because we grew up and these things just does not give an impact compared to when we were kids?

If Chinese New Year is going to be like this from now onwards, I have better make plans for all my future Chinese New Year to come. Why consider to celebrate with people who don't really give two hoots about family? My resolution for 2012 Chinese New Year is to bring Jaden home with me to Penang / Perlis to celebrate with my side of the family instead.

Call me rude, call me ungrateful, but its just not nice celebrating this one happy festive season in KL. It sucks big time!

No comments: