Monday, November 30, 2009

My Wheezing Boy

I woke up at 830a this morning. Slept at about 415am after chatting nonsense with Hubby, Iz and Gynnette in our living room the night before. The boys were having some football watching marathon and I could not fall asleep, so might as well.

Ok, back to 830am.. It was Jaden who woke me up. The heavy breathing, with wheezing sound that sounded bad to my ears, and those phlegm sounds when he coughs. The boy was in tears, and the runny nose, was dripping like waterworks with the drips dripping down on me when I carried him out of the room. That was when I decided to get him to Dr Altaf without waiting for a day or two to see recovery. Getting my son back to his pink of health was more important at the moment or at least, after consulting the doctor, I would know what is going on with my son.

Made a call to the clinic to confirm Dr Altaf is in and voila, after washing my face, and changing the boy's diapers and clothes, off we went to the clinic. There was 7 children waiting before us, and well, that took up nearly 45 minutes of waiting time. Yes! Dr Altaf is very popular among parents and their children. He is a good paedaetrician after all.

Dr Altaf listened to Jaden's breathing and found that his wheezing is quite bad. It was very noisy and heavy inside and suggested for nebulizer treatment. Alas, the 45 minutes wait was already tiring for the little boy, who woke up at 830am so Dr suggested to give meds orally first but if the condition does not improve in 48 hours, we would have to bring Jaden back for the nebulizer.

While I was there at the clinic, I took the opportunity to ask Dr about Jaden's speech milestones and he told me that Jaden is still too young to tell but I need to do repetitive 20 words with him and see if there are any improvement in 6 months. Pictures and repetitions till the boy recognizes and say it out loud. Praying hard that there will at least be 3-5 words at least when 6 months come.. shall start with

  1. BALL
  2. EYES
  3. APPLE
  4. SHOE
  5. CAR

Feeding meds orally to Jaden requires a two man job. One to hold him down and one to inject the 3.5ml dosage into the mouth. 3 x 3.5ml (twice daily for two and three times for another one). All together three med syrups to take.

The look Jaden gave both Hubby and I. One word = BETRAYAL *sigh* All the things we'd do to get him well again.

So now, its more of a rest at home time for both Jaden and I till he recovers. Letting him sweat it all out, which I noticed hes been sweating a lot out since taking the meds, the runny nose not so runny anymore.. phlegm is still there, hoping for the med to do its course by breaking down the phlegm and yea, making him drink lots of fluids too.

I really hate to see Jaden fall sick or feel unwell. Its heartbreaking.. So well, girlfriends, no outings of anykind till the boy recovers and by then, I am sure both he and I will be enjoying our break back in Penang. =)


No comments: