Wednesday, May 27, 2009

First Attempt -Fried Wantons

I made fried wantons last night.
Started out at 10pm, finished frying the whole 25 pieces at 12am.


Ingredients:
  • Minced Pork
  • Spring Onions
  • White Pepper
  • Soya Sauce
  • Sesame Oil
  • Salt
  • Cornflour
  • Wanton skin (can get from the hypermarkets)

  1. First marinate the minced pork with salt and pepper, spring onions, a dash or two of sesame oil and a table spoon of cornflour (depending on how much the meat is)
  2. Mixed them well, let them sit for a while.
  3. Mix a little cornflour with hot water. Just a little will do.. and put that aside on a tiny bowl or sauce holder
  4. Then take a teaspoon to take the minced pork and put it on to the wanton skin, dab the cornflour water at the edges of the wanton skin and fold them to your liking.
  5. After done, filling in the minced pork into the wanton skin, they are ready to be fried golden brown.
  6. How to know if the meat inside is really cooked, well, as long as the part where the meat is is golden brown in colour, they are cooked.
  7. Pat them dry with kitchen towel (tissue dry) to dab out the excess oil.
  8. Served with thai chilli ketchup or mayo! =)
p/s: Don't put too much cornflour water at the edges as when they are fried, they will become super hard. Just a slight dab will do to make the skin stick tight so the pork don't come oozing out of the skin later when fried.

I didn't deep fried mine but you can always do that. I pan-fried mine... that is why it took longer. So if you want to try to make wanton the amateurish way, you can always refer to my recipe... or you can alter it to your own creativity.. =)

Hubby didn't complain about it so I guess it was ok.

I was taught how to make the soup dumplings a few years back but I forgot how to fold them nicely.. it seems the skin was made from scratch with dough and water and the roller to flatten it out. Maybe when I am feeling hardworking and adventurous again, I shall google for the recipe again.. maybe... but at the moment, I am happy with fried wantons!

6 comments:

Wingz said...

if i order fried wantans got spesel delivery anot?

blubbieMs said...

Aiyo.. I damn shy about the wantons I made coz not professional.. but if you want to try it out, I don't mind another guinea pig to try my cooking.. HAHAHAH =) At the moment, business is small, so no special delivery yet.. AHHAHAHHAHAHHAHA

tanshuyin said...

looks good wor. and u folded them pretty nicely too!

blubbieMs said...

Shu Yin: They were good with mayo.. but not that nice if its leftover for the next day. =) I still am not satisfied with the folding of the skin. My hubby thinks I treat it like folding some paper like that! AHHAHAH

Pei Chyi said...

hey u did good! they look very nicely sealed. i've got a whole recipe book on dumplings/wantons if u wanna have a look i can mail it to ya :)

blubbieMs said...

Pei Chyi: When I am back in the mood of wanting to try new things with wanton and dumpling, I will sure remember you and prolly drive myself all the way to ur workplace to borrow the book from u =) Thanks!!!! Just an amateur in the kitchen area!